pregnancy

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Our Precious Child...

Ok, I’m doing it… I’m risking it all and posting about what a rock-star our baby is. Let me start from the beginning... Cole was a sleeper from the get-go. He didn’t cry when he was born – they suctioned him and he let out a little, “whaa” noise and that was it. He was here and there was too much to take in to worry about crying. He looked around for about 30 minutes and then fell asleep. He pretty much slept from that point on. We had trouble with breastfeeding (I realize now that I haven’t posted about our struggles *note to self*) because he was such a hard sleeper. Even the boob Nazis (lactation consultants – and BTW, mine were awesome!) couldn’t get him to wake up to eat. So, his very first night in the world, with his mom prepared to wake up every 2 hours to feed him… he slept for 4 hour stretches – only waking because the nurse made me try to feed him. Ok, I’m rambling already and I’m not even making my point. To sum up… he was sleeping 5-6 hours a night his 1st week home, 6-8 hours a night his 2nd week and 9-12 hour a night from 3 weeks on. His schedule now is closer to about 8-10 hours since I’ve returned back to work. He usually goes down between 9 and 10pm and then will wake up around 6:30-7ish. If it’s a morning when he’s going to daycare or to my mom’s house he’ll eat and we’ll leave. If it’s a morning when Linda (MIL) is coming over or a day I’m not working he’ll get up around 7ish, eat, and then go back down until 9:30-10ish! What a super-star!! Oh, and he still naps like a champ during the day too. He comes from a family of champion nappers though.

Now, I didn’t tell you that to rub it in your face, or to brag, or to jinx myself (please hear that part, sleep gods!) I told you that part to tell you this part… Sunday night for the first time since I can remember… Cole woke up at 2:30am. I could tell that this wasn’t just a wake-up and then settle back to sleep kind of thing so I went in and got him. We sat in the rocker and I tried the paci – didn’t work – I tried nursing him – wasn’t having it – I re-swaddled him with one arm out in case he wanted his fingers – nothing - I put him on my shoulder and bounced him around the room… one lap in and he let out the loudest fart ever! He immediately stopped crying and fell back asleep. I somehow managed to put him back in his crib and get out of the room before completely losing it. I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes. I went back to bed and fell asleep only to wake up about an hour later to a strange sound on the monitor. It sounded like Cole was taking his hand and running it down the slats of the crib. My brain, foggy with sleep, tried it’s best to make sense of the sound – Cole isn’t quite able to get over to the side of the crib to run his hand along the slats, Cole isn’t long enough to run his hand over that many slats, Cole isn’t quite strong enough hit the slats hard enough to make that loud of a noise…. My sleepy brain was just not working. That’s when wonder-hubby woke up and said, “Is that gas?” AH-HA!! Yes, our little precious baby proceeded to “lawnmower” poot his way through the night. The massive one he let out for me was the only one that seemed to make him unhappy. He slept through the rest of the night while Wyatt and I giggled.


















Love to all,

No comments: